Saturday, August 1, 2009

Preparing for the conference

It is the day before I leave for my first ever AMTNYS Summer Math Institute. I am quite looking forward to it. Despite being a member of AMTNYS for a good many years, I have never attended the event. I presently teach a math course for pre-service elementary school teachers. Having taught high school math, I feel a real need to find activities and ideas that are geared toward younger students as I have considerably less experience with that. I downloaded the program and there are many sessions devoted to mathematics at all levels that sound worthwhile. There's also time for some fun planned in like the picnic and puzzle night. Finally, I just downloaded the song "Not on the Test" by Tom Chapin who will be giving a keynote address. It's fantastic. I urge you to check it out as it definitely speaks to what is going on in education and has a nice rhythm to it.

A few bloggers have given thanks to Frank. Let me join in and say the same. The e-mails about our lodging, puzzle night, activities and so forth are getting me quite excited about the event and it is clear from them that Frank is working hard to make sure all is in order. It'll be nice to actually meet you :)

My bags are packed for tomorrow and I am hopeful it will be a great week. I'll keep you all posted on how it goes. Oh and if anyone's interested I packed my tennis racket and am looking forward to a few matches. Any takers?

Until soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment